Skip to main content

There Is Shit In Your Meat

30. Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

A friend of mine at sleepaway camp read Fast Food Nation back in 2003. We all listened bemused as she cited statistics such as the fact that Ronald McDonald was superseded only by Santa Claus in recognition among children. Schlosser investigates every imaginable aspect of the horizontally and vertically integrated fast food industry. He discusses issues like manipulation of immigrant (and other) workers both in slaughterhouses and restaurants, the dangers of foodborne illness in the likes of E. Coli 0157 : H57 and salmonella, and the effects of corporate power on the economy. Schlosser methodically takes the reader through every part of the slaughterhouse process. Even though I had never read a book on the subject before, most of what I learned was not new, though this time it was presented in a more personal manner. Workers are poor and often inept, or forced to work faster than they can while maintaining proper hygiene protocol. Meat is contaminated with feces or "shit" as Schlosser puts it, and cow stomach contents. Due to the consolidation of the fast food industry, one infected cow can infect meat distributed to thousands of restaurants all over the nation and consumed by millions. That is probably Schlosser's strongest argument against such uniformity, that it makes the dissemination of pathogens easier. I was also not surprised that until recently, the USDA purchased the lowest quality meat from slaughterhouses to serve (where else?) the nation's schools. My favorite part of the book was the section describing Schlosser's visit to a scent manufacturer. Fast food, because it is freeze-dried and otherwise processed, is tasteless, so compounds are invented to infuse fast food with specific flavors and make them taste good. I honestly think this is unbelievably cool. Using this technology, we could make anything-even lima beans-taste good! Although I agree with and applaud Schlosser's mission-to reform the fast food industry and economy-his reporting is not flawless. He repeatedly attacks Republican politicians and the Republican Party in general for accepting money from fast food or slaughterhouse companies. However, he cannot prove any correlation with their voting records or any related corruption. In the updated edition's Afterword, he notes this criticism and admits that his attacks are circumstantial (though he stands by them), and that some Democrats were guilty of this as well, which he had neglected to mention. I also checked his footnotes and sources in the back and was interested to see that many of his statistics and assertions were of his own creation, based on other information and his observations. I think it is somewhat misleading to present that as fact, though I suppose someone has to figure out statistics. All in all, it was easy to read and contains important information, still relevant almost seven years after its original publication.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge