Skip to main content
13. La Casa de Bernarda Alba (The House of Bernarda Alba) by Federico Garcia Lorca

Garcia Lorca, is one of Spain's best known poets and dramatists. He is also famous for his short and tragic life, he was shot by Franco's soldiers in 1936, at the age of 33, both for his political leanings and his sexual orientation. The House of Bernarda Alba is one of Lorca's most famous plays and the last to be written before his death. It wasn't actually performed for the first time until almost thirty years after it was written, and that in Argentina. The play depicts the life of one household of women in Andalucia, Lorca's native region and the subject of most of his plays and much of his poetry. Lorca also wrote poetry about the gypsy life in Spain, in the collection Romancero Gitano and about his depression during the two years he spent in New York, Poetas de Nueva York.

Bernarda Alba is the mother of five daughters, under whose tyrannical thumb she keeps daughters, servants, and her own aging mother. Bernarda's strict ideas of propriety and social class are the constraints against which the inhabitants of her house define themselves, either succumbing knowingly or unknowingly, or rebelling openly. The tension comes to a head when the youngest daughter Adela insists on loving the intended husband of the oldest daughter Angustias. The young man is marrying the older sister because she stands to inherit considerably more money. Although Adela has her way, she cannot escape the consequences of defying Bernarda.

The play became considerably more interesting to me when a fellow student suggested that it was meant as a portrait of the impending political situation in Spain. To me, it appeared more a portrait of the repression and self-repression of women of a certain class at that time in Spain, a worthy yet tired theme.

14. Daisy Miller by Henry James

I'd wanted to read this novella for a while, ever since it was discussed in Reading Lolita in Tehran, and when I finally spotted it on the library shelf in the "Literatura Norteamericana" section, I decided to go for it. It was a quick read in an excellent style, leaving me with plenty to think about.

I really enjoy Henry James' novellas, but I can't seem to get through any of his novels. I've tried The Bostonians and The Ambassadors and had to stop reading both because I was just too bored and had to spend too much time dissecting the language. Normally, I like that kind of thing, but I think Henry James is just a bit over my head for now. This gave me hope that I can try again in the future.

Daisy Miller is about a young man, an American raised in Switzerland and his encounter with the young lady of the title, a young American lady improperly fond of the company of men, among displays of other social vulgarities. He is drawn to her, but also judges her constantly. There are several themes at work; the different social standards for men and women, social differences between Americans and Europeans, and also a sort of high school-ish feel of cliques and exclusivity that Daisy threatens and one feels is the real reason she is thought to be improper. In the end, the reader can be the one to judge the narrator and I, for one, was not kind in my thoughts! However, I definitely recommend the novella as thoroughly enjoyable.

15. The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger by Stephen King

I had never read Stephen King before. At one point, I had some sort of idea he was intimidating, another time that he was beneath my notice, and finally, that I would get around to him, but I had better things to read in the meantime. Well, I got around to him and don't regret it. I think I would even continue reading the Dark Tower series.

In some ways, it's very standard fantasy, but it's well-focused with just a few characters and settings and pointed symbolisms to work out. This is definitely escapist, in that it addresses all the hardest things to face about life in an environment where it seems appropriate to face them first. The Gunslinger is a mysterious character, whose past we learn about while he is chasing a Man in Black, who presumably has some answers, across the desert. The character is interesting. He's sympathetic, but ultimately everything falls to his one goal and ambition, to find the Dark Tower.

King writes in an afterword that when he wrote the book, he was unsure of many things he alluded to or hinted at. I look forward to seeing what he comes up with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge