Skip to main content

The Moor, the Villain, and Chastity Slandered

14. Othello by William Shakespeare

As I mentioned in my review of Titus Andronicus, reading that play has deepened my understanding of this one. Aaron the Moor is split in two here, into the noble Christian Moor Othello and the manipulative, evil atheist Iago. As I mentioned, Aaron's race provides him with a motive for his evildoing, either the racist implication that the 'Other' operates outside of the moral realm, or his own resentful, psychological response to this racial construction. Neither of these reasons can justify Iago's villainy, but they can play a role in Othello's self-image and willingness to believe that Desdemona is unfaithful to such as him.

I found Iago's various motivations to add to the psychological complexity of the character; my professor seems to suggest that his actions stem from a spurned homosocial affinity for Othello, while I see where that's coming from in the text, I still have a more traditional idea of Iago as someone who manipulates for manipulation's sake, a psychopath if you will. He messes with every single other character in the play, whether or not it is relevant to his revenge on Othello. Although he professes feelings for Desdemona, he's willing to sacrifice her life for the sake of his machinations, and a closer bond with Othello, but I think Iago could have foreseen Othello's regret and suicide. We know that even before the play begins, Iago has been playing matchmaker for both Roderigo and Othello, and probably planning to reveal Desdemona's elopement with Othello to her father the whole time. He shows how a single malicious person can ruin many lives, a horrifying thought if there ever was one.

Desdemona in the play is the Lucrece-esque victim, the representative of Chastity, whose honor is not physically assaulted, but violated through slander. This seems to be a theme to a greater or lesser degree in every early modern work I've been reading, and an idea I've been struggling with. The threat against Chastity seemed to invade from every angle and in order to be a heroine, a woman had to embody Chastity. Yet why are women's relationships with their would-be rapists, in this case literal murderer, painted as romantic love stories?

This is an age-old theme, battered women who stay with their tormentors are unfortunately still too common today, my friend was explaining that women think these men will "change" for them, they want to be the special one he changes for. I have never subscribed to this fairy tale and besides finding it appalling, don't fully comprehend the motivations behind it. A self-esteem boost, a challenge, a feeling of moral superiority...I used to love Beauty and the Beast, but I'm the last woman who would ever try to tame him. I'm sure that was part of Desdemona's attraction to Othello though.


Back to Othello, it turns out that Chastity is a matter of appearance just as much as black skin, and slanders against either are equally fatal to individuals and society. In the meantime, don't fall in love with the Beast, because his perception of his own inferiority will be taken out on you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge