Skip to main content

Short Story Catch-Up

I have still been reading short stories as per my goal this year (especially on Tor.com), but I've neglected to record a few of them. So, here goes:

Short Story #8 Brimstone and Marmalade by Aaron Corwin
Publisher: Tor.com

Summary:

A little girl wants a pony for her birthday. Instead, she gets a demon.

Favorite Quotes:

"Mathilde knew what 'we'll see' meant. It was one of those special lies only grownups were allowed to tell. When a grownup said, 'we'll see,' it really meant 'never'."

Short Story #9 In the Greenwood by Mari Ness

Publisher: Tor.com

Summary:

"Robin Hood" from Maid Marian's point of view is not so cheery, at least in Ness' rendition. Apparently, I don't like to have my fairy, folk,and mythical tales messed with, as will be evident coming up...

Short Story #10 Psyche's Dark Night by Francesca Lia Block
Anthology: My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me Ed. Kate Bernheimer



I bought this collection a few years ago, at the Boston Book Festival, and since then, I've dipped into it occasionally. I've probably read more than half of the stories in the book-and the truth is, I disliked most of them, and was ashamed to admit this. This is because, you see, it's not at all what I would call outright "bad writing." Many of the authors in this book are very well-respected and famous. Rather, I would say that a lot of the stylistic and content choices in this book were simply not my cup of tea. A lot of the stories were altered to be violently and sexually graphic, to turn tables and characterize heroes as monsters and vice versa. Essentially, to complicate fairy tale worlds and bring them down to an earthly level or at least a new kind of confusion, whether in terms of format or content. I didn't like it. But I bet there are many out there who will, so if you think you can handle it, I would urge you to disregard my opinion.

That said, there was at least one story in this collection that I liked very much. It is probably one of the more conventionally written ones, but I thought it was a charming update of the Cupid and Psyche myth. Francesca Lia Block turns Cupid and Psyche into wary online daters, and the conceit works very well with the premise of the myth. Her Cupid and Psyche really demonstrate the human factor though, that is missing in the bare-bones myth. And that's really what I would like fairy tale re-tellings to do-relate it to our world in an understandable way, not add to the confusion and mystification. But to each, their won. In any case, I have found a new author whose work I may want to look into more. That, I think, is one of the many advantages of short stories over novels (of course novels have advantages over short stories as well), to be able to quickly identify authors that you like, without having to invest so much time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge