Skip to main content

Readings: Essays and Literary Entertainments by Michael Dirda

6. Readings: Essays and Literary Entertainments by Michael Dirda

It is entirely apt, actually poetic, that I discovered this collection in a used bookstore. Throughout these pages, Dirda leads us down labyrinthine library steps, through bookstores forlorn and flourishing, to conferences focused on Wodehouse and Faulkner, to his own private paradise sabbatical featuring the The Tale of Genji. He is always in quest of the cheapest, most covetable, most elusive quarry--the books he wants to read.

Readings is a collection of essays that appeared in The Washington Post Book World from 1993-1999. Although they could easily be read separately, reading them together produces a pleasing mental marinade. For example, Dirda's emphasis on the physicality of books in each of his essays becomes all the more clear, even more so against a modern backdrop. In 1993 or 1995 or even 1999, it might not have stood out so much that Dirda is preoccupied with old paperbacks and books of correspondence and drools over a fellow book collector's plethora of palimpsest-style signed editions (signed to this author, for this author, owned by so-and-so-and-so-and-on). But now his preoccupations are both quaint and retro-cool.

He remembers searching for years for particular novels or collections, such as I Am Jonathan Scrivener. As an older adult, he "[pounces] like a rabid marmoset" on Queen Lucia, a book he had been wanting. Then he decides he wants the rest of the out-of-print series, so he "[begins his] usual search-and-acquire campaign in the Washington area's secondhand bookstores." But when his "infants" ask for a new computer for Christmas, he realizes that he can use the Internet to find his treasure.

Part of the allure of "booking," as he terms it, for Dirda (I suspect), and myself, is the hunt--searching over the course of years, investigating boxes and piles, usually able to turn up SOMETHING you've been longing for, due to the infinite nature of book lust. In Dirda's columns, books that he's desired for years take an added significance.He recounts when he heard about particular books and from whom, when and where he found them, and when and where he read them. These are moments that are very familiar to me, but I'm already starting to recognize myself as an anachronism, Dirda as a kindred spirit from another era.

If you're a reader's reader, this is a book for you. And I can think of no better mission than declaring that the best way to savor this experience is to go to your local used bookstores or library used book sales (or scour the Internet, if you have to) and ferret out your own used paperback copy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge