Skip to main content

Books Read in October

54. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon


I took Outlander when it turned up at the Little Free Library nearest me. I'd been meaning to see why it's so popular, especially after the TV show came out. Not enough to get it until it was right in front of me, though. I haven't seen the show, and I'm not especially eager to now, but if it came on a channel I was watching, I wouldn't say no.

That's kind of how I feel about the book. It's amusing, it's engaging--I'm one of those people who finds the idea of a 1940s woman who suddenly ends up in the 1740s interesting--but it doesn't go anywhere I especially appreciate with it, on an intellectual level anyway. Outlander, in my opinion, is extremely well-done costume drama *cough* erotica *cough*. For those purposes, it serves admirably. Gabaldon creates a convincing atmosphere of 1740s Scotland and a compelling chemistry between Claire, the 1940s English nurse, and Jamie, the 1740s Scottish outlaw laird. As a cherry on top, Gabaldon's rendering of Scottish accent into dialogue is actually pretty likable. I enjoyed imagining how all those "wouldnas" and "wee lassies" would sound. But, since I'm not a member of that culture, I don't know if that would be offensive or not. Anyway, if you want to dream of hunky Scottish men in kilts, this is your book. If you have more of an interest in time travel and history--meh.


55. Make Your Home Among Strangers by Jeanine Capó Crucet

My mom and I went to hear her read at a local author event, and Mom got the book for me. I was especially excited because she read a section about writing centers, and I really enjoyed hearing about how the book came about. One of the comments she made that resonated as I was reading was how, as a college counselor, her students asked her for a novel about first generation college students. There weren't any...so she thought, I have to write it!

This is really that book. I imagine a lot of first generation college students relate, and as someone who works with a lot of first generation college students, especially students from immigrant families, it's both familiar and informative for me. I wasn't overwhelmed by the Ariel Hernandez (read: Elian Gonzalez) subplot, but it was interesting to get a Cuban-American perspective on that. It was strange to me though that the white people in the book were all like "obviously, he should go back home!" because that's not at all what I heard from most of the white or other people around me, but interesting. Really, though, I would recommend this book to first generation college students and people who are interested in that experience.

The message of the book is a bit depressing (it's not a secret, it's in the title), but raw and honest. We're all making our homes among strangers, but I hope someday we can conceive of ourselves more as belonging in many places rather than fitting in none.

56. Blood and Iron by Elizabeth Bear


I started Elizabeth Bear with the Eternal Sky trilogy, since that came out right when I first started hearing about her. While I've read a lot about her other works, I finally dived into the Promethean Age this month.

My observations from Eternal Sky and what I've heard about her work in general rings true here: Bear just throws you right in the deep end. You will spend the first several pages desperately trying to figure out what the heck is going on. You'll pick it up, but then it will get harder from there. You won't fully ever understand what's happening, but it will start to become so immersive you won't care.

To me, Blood and Iron is not so much a book as an exquisite smorgasbord of Celtic myth, faerie tale, and dark imagination. It's like Bear mixed it all up, threw it all in, and it just...works. It's unconventional, it doesn't all make sense, but it's so lovely and (if you're like me), you're just so happy to have kelpies and Morgan le Fey and the Weyland Smith all inhabiting the same space that you'll forgive any inconsistencies and callousness. I definitely think I detect a Mists of Avalon influence, and probably lots more I'm missing. Bear must be prolifically read in Celtic myth. Tam Lin is the most overt, but, really, everything.

Recommended to the special readers who live for the deep swirly pools of fantasy.

57. Taming the Star Runner by S.E. Hinton



I picked this up at the Bookcrossing booth at the Gaithersburg Book Festival just because I saw S.E. Hinton's name. I have feverish memories of the other two books I read by S.E. Hinton: Opened The Outsiders to read the assigned first chapter, finished it by midnight; Found That Was Then, This Is Now lying around the house (turned out it was my sister's), finished it by midnight. Although I've waited a few months to tame Star Runner (sorry, couldn't resist), I opened it one morning, and you guessed it, finished by midnight.

Star Runner doesn't have the same complexity as the other two books (That Was Then, This Is Now remains my favorite), but it's got similar ingredients: a writerly bad boy MC, cursing, shenanigans, and literary references. This one throws in a horse barn in Oklahoma and lots of horse riding girls (ironically, the MC Travis refuses to put girl characters in his book), but it's a reliable fast-paced story with Hinton's unmistakable spark. Also, apparently, there's a movie.

Especially recommended to teens, but older fans of Hinton's other books will enjoy this too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge