Skip to main content

Books Read in January

1. The Last Boleyn by Karen Harper


This was an uneven book that ultimately triumphed because of the sensitive and nuanced portrayal of its protagonist. While the story differs significantly in detail from Philippa Gregory's better known The Other Boleyn Girl, in this novel, Mary Boleyn is also both sympathetic and a fascinating character in her own right.




2. Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (audiobook)


I've finally managed to read the famous Rainbow Rowell. However, I had never heard of Attachments before I found it in the audiobook section of the library. It's not a book I'd normally read, but it sounded like a light and fun audiobook for my commute, and it was.

The gimmick of Lincoln discovering Beth through e-mail proved interesting, and all the characters were lovably quirky. A scene where the characters play Dungeons & Dragons didn't smell right to me when the author mentioned that the characters switch off playing the Dungeon Master every week (every game I've played in or heard of has had a consistent DM), but apparently this is a thing. The fact that the majority of the book takes place in 1999 also let me have a good nostalgic laugh about Y2K fears. I wasn't really impressed or surprised by the ending, and ultimately I thought this book was pretty cute but forgettable.

3. The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

I've been meaning to read this series for a while, and was not disappointed. Princess Lucero-Elisa de Riqueza is a compelling heroine, and Carson's fantasy world hinges on some of my particular interests--namely, the culture and language are based on Spanish,  most of the novel is set in the desert, and religion plays a significant role both in the world and the protagonist's life. Carson is not afraid to pull hard punches, so get ready for an intense ride. The writing, while excellent, does have that slick YA quality to it, and I wish the author could write a little deeper in some places because she's obviously capable. But all in all, a fun yet gut-punching read, and I can't wait to read the rest of the trilogy.

4. Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl


A friend gave me this book, and I was further galvanized to read after The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.  Frankl, a Holocaust survivor, posits that the goal of life is not to seek happiness or avoid pain, but to find meaning. Even suffering is worth the pain, he explains, if people are able to discover meaning. For example, a man who was devastated at his wife's loss was able to find meaning in his life when he realized that because he outlived her, she was spared the pain of widowhood. It's a compelling philosophy and one that I think works, although it doesn't have as clear of a biological basis as, for example, Freud's theories about fear and sexual drives. Frankl believes in the triumph of the superego over the id, and while it's an inspiring idea, I think there is so much more we need to learn about how this really works.

5. The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

I started following Gretchen Rubin on LinkedIn. I don't even remember why, but I became intrigued with her theories and ideas about happiness and habits, so I decided to read her book. I found The Happiness Project an interesting read, and while I don't agree with all of Rubin's assertions, I found plenty to relate to. I've also experienced the joy of clearing clutter and I like the idea of placing emphasis on improving one's happiness for the purpose of improving the happiness of those around you. I don't think I would get as upset about not being perfect as Rubin does, but I appreciate her honesty, and also her honesty with herself about what she doesn't enjoy or isn't interested in. Ironically, as Rubin rejects meditation or connecting with nature, I reflected that I wanted to try both! Very interesting read for anyone interested in living a happier life. I would definitely consider reading Rubin's other books.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge