Skip to main content

Discovering Nonfiction

 As a toddler, I literally ate books. It's a trait that characterized the rest of my childhood, figuratively. Each new book was so exciting. Each story became engraved on my consciousness as I read it over and over, the same way I watched Disney movies: Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, Little Men, A Little Princess, A Wrinkle in Time, Matilda. I still quote and picture scenes from these books from memory. They formed the landscape of my mind and the context against which I measured my life, and still do.

I wasn't as interested in nonfiction. The closest I came was Little House on the Prairie, the autobiography of Rosa Parks, and Anne Frank's diary. Still, I read far more of the American Girl, Royal Diaries, and Dear America series to satisfy my interest in history than I read actual biographies or memoirs. Who wanted to read the truth when I could read about hobbits singing bathtub songs or an imaginary orphan pretending to float down a river as another imaginary character?

Somewhere between the first Harry Potter book and the last, fiction lost some of its magic. I began reading about an ordinary boy who finds out he's a wizard and finished reading about an orphan hero who completes his mythic journey by achieving resurrection and destroying the ultimate evil. The tropes of fiction were laid bare to me, and I don't blame Joseph Campbell (entirely). Even as a child, I insisted that the father in "The Lion King" was "not really dead" because I knew that was not how stories worked. I turned out to be partially right. Stories, even those I loved, became predictable. I stopped re-reading as much. What I gained in compassion and maturity, I lost in wonder.While I still find the familiar tropes of fantasy comforting and I draw no small amount of pleasure from literary analysis, the pure consumption of my early reading days is over.

Then, I discovered nonfiction.

For years, I've thought of nonfiction as "the boring stuff." But by virtually ignoring the boring stuff for the 20-some years of my existence, it turns out I've preserved a pocket of fresh and surprising treats. I don't know the conventions of nonfiction. I don't know the rules, or even if there are rules. It's true that nonfiction causes me to think, but not necessarily in the same way that I think about tropes. Nonfiction, of the type I've been reading recently (The Happiness Project, The True Secret of Writing) blends more seamlessly into my everyday life, so that even if I'm thinking of myself outside the book, it's how the concepts in the book directly affect my life. There is no analytical mediation, unless I consciously impose it. I'm trained to analyze reading, and I've found I'm no longer able to switch that off entirely when reading fiction, but since nonfiction is so new to me, I seem to be able to flip some sort of honeymoon switch.

If I keep reading nonfiction at the rate I'm going, I know the switch will eventually flip back on and the honeymoon will end. I've accepted that. When that happens, I will be a more knowledgeable and hopefully even more compassionate and mature person than I am now. But, for now, I'm teething like a toddler on that convenient cardboard thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge