Skip to main content

New Year's Reading

I've started off my new year's reading very similar to what became my go-to books last year: nonfiction memoirs by female authors. The last book I read last year (November and December reading will be up, er, soon-ish), was Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster, and the first book I read this year was--dum dum dum--Jeneration X by Jen Lancaster. But seriously. My fiance doesn't even know her name, but he's like "Oh no, are you reading that person who makes you laugh all the time again!?"

My second book this year was The Year of Living Danishly by Helen Russell. I'm interested (me and the rest of the world) in the Danish concept of hygge (I first saw it on the Konmari Instagram feed). It fits since winter is my least favorite season, and I'm sick of being somewhat sad for 4-5 months of the year. This winter has been mild, although there's currently an inch of snow and it's well below freezing. Still, the concept of making winter a "cozy" time to enjoy family, candles, blankets, and books appeals more than my previous strategy of telling myself that at least each day after Dec. 21st is longer!

I also received another hygge book (and a couple more are in the mail, ahem), The Art of Hygge by Elias Larsen and Jonny Jackson. It was mostly a how-to hygge guide with lots of hygge imagery: I'm looking forward to indulgent hot chocolate, decorative jars, and briefly considered making tea cozies out of old socks. Russell's book, however, was much more than just hygge, although it does provide a context for the concept. Russell, a British journalist, moves to Denmark when her husband gets a year-long job at Lego. She decides to spend the year investigating why Danes are reportedly the happiest people in the world.

One of the reasons I like Russell's memoir so much is because it isn't as memoir-y as others I've read. Don't get me wrong; I've started to become obsessed with the minutiae of other grown-up women's lives, but I also like to learn about things other than adulting.
Russell covers her daily life in Denmark month-by-month, but she incorporates a lot of research, primarily conversations with experts. I feel like I learned a lot about Danish society, and not just the shiny bits. She discusses gender (in) equality, domestic violence, and (copious) alcohol consumption. After a year, of course, she doesn't know everything, and much of her conversation is reflective of her UK nationality, as well as a clear bias toward a UK and US audience. As a US reader, I couldn't tell if a lot of her slang was just British or idiosyncratic to her; I'm considering reading it again just for that. I also found it interesting that she emphasized dollars and US comparisons so much. I wonder if she ever lived in the US or worked assignments there. Or maybe it was just the publisher's appeal to the US audience.

I've still got that new year's rush of feeling excited about reading, and now I'm also excited for a cozy winter ahead. Next up: Lab Girl by Hope Jahren.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge