Skip to main content

2017 Reading Stats

Happy New Year! I'm starting off with a roundup of my reading from 2017!


2017 Reading Stats

As usual, borrowed and modified from Boston Bibliophile.

How many books read in 2017? 64, 12 more than my goal of 52!

How many fiction and non fiction? 40 fiction, 21 nonfiction (who am I???), and 3 books of poetry. 

Male/Female author ratio? 40 women, 21 men, 1 multi-author poetry collection, 1 multi-author short story collection, and 1 book by a husband/wife team

Writers of Color/Minority Writers? 17 writers of color/minority writers, 14 of whom are Jewish, including one African American Jewish author (my former Hebrew school teacher, Michael Twitty)

Favorite book of 2017? The Magician King and The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman. After taking such a long break since reading the first book, which deeply and painfully affected me, it was incredible to see the development of Quentin as a character and of The Magicians itself as a world. 

Also, Victims and Neighbors: A Small Town in Nazi Germany Remembered by Frances Henry deserves a special mention because I'm still thinking about its lessons, which unfortunately reverberate today. All my other favorite books read in 2017 are listed here. 

Least favorite? 

The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop Cafe by Mary Simses and The Cake Therapist by Judith Fertig. These both caught my eye because of their delicious covers, but apparently I should know better. What I thought would be books about baking were more contemporary romance, which others may enjoy, but is not typically my cup of tea. 

Any that you simply couldn’t finish and why? I DNFd Voyager by Russell Banks. I was looking for travel writing, but didn't relate to his personal stories. Again, just not my cup of tea.

Oldest book read? Friday the Rabbi Slept Late by Harry Kemelmanpublished in 1964 

Newest? Mandelbrot the Magnificent by Liz Ziemska, published in Nov. 2017

Longest and shortest book titles? 

Shortest title: Warp by Lev Grossman

Longest title: The Jewish Feminist Movement in Germany: The Campaigns of The Judischer Frauenbund, 1904-1938 , by Marion A. Kaplan

Longest and shortest books?

Longest:  The Wizard of the Crow by Ngugi wa Thiong'oat 768 pages.

Shortest: Diving into the Wreck by Adrienne Rich, at 72 pages.

How many books from the library?

18--not as well as last year's 32, but including all 12 audiobooks I listened to this year.

 I also read 5 books found at my local Little Free Library, as compared to last year's 8. 

Any translated books?

Spark Joy from Japanese. Otherwise, not too well on translated books. 

Which countries did you go to through the page in your year of reading?
Nigeria, a fictionalized Kenya, a tour through the history of the Southern United States and several parts of Africa including Nigeria and Ghana (The Cooking Gene), Fillory, a lot of Nazi-era Germany, Nazi-era France, a fictionalized 1960s Boston suburb, Denmark, Philip Pullman's Oxford, a Slavic fantasy world, and more. 

Most read author of the year, and how many books by that author? 
Four books by Lev Grossman, counting my read of the entire Magicians trilogy, plus Warp.

Any re-reads?
The Magicians by Lev Grossman and Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert

Favorite character of the year? 

Quentin Coldwater

Which book wouldn’t you have read without someone’s specific 

recommendation?

I read Purple Hibiscus because it was the One Maryland, One Book, and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie came to speak near me. I wanted to read Mandelbrot the Magnificent when I heard about it on Tor.com.   


Which author was new to you in 2017 that you now want to read the entire works of?

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie


Which books are you annoyed you didn't read?

Again, there wasn't anything specific I wanted to read this year, beyond research for my book, which I did, so I"m pretty happy!


Did you read any books you have always been meaning to read?

The Book Thief had been on my TBR list for a long time, and The Wizard of the Crow had been on my TBR shelf for a while as well.

How many books did you read on your ereader?

Like, 3. Hopefully, I'll do better on that next year. 

How many SFF books did you read? 

15. Specifically, 13 fantasy, which I think is more than it's been the past couple years.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge